This page is the most up to date snapshot of what I am working on, since the site rarely reflects real-time.
I am currently in: Montreal indefinitely. Sadly, I had to vacate my apartment in Oaxaca due to the updates below.
Newest blog posts:
When My Life Was Derailed:
- I last updated this page in 2017, when my plans were to go back to Oaxaca and continue with food walks and writing. Life took quite a turn when I was gifted both a cerebrospinal leak and a burglary in one day. See this post for more.
- Following that black swan evening, I was bedbound for many months, followed by four procedures down at Duke in North Carolina. How I learned to walk again here.
- After I was mobile for 8 mos or so, and walking 4-5km a day, I re-opened the CSF leak by simply sitting on the ground (gently!) the wrong way. Due to other complications in my health, I’ve put off blood patching for now at Duke. More here, about learning to be the tortoise, not the hare.
- As a celiac, it’s been a challenge to travel and eat safely, even though I love to learn through food. While the main purpose of the site is narrative-based writing, I’ve started building very detailed gluten-free translation cards, as well as guides for those seeking to travel. The guides are free, but cards are available for purchase, to help offset the cost of translating and building them. These cards are different because they account for cross-contamination, are researched by a celiac, use local food names, and are translated by native speakers. Mexico and France are in there now, with Malaysia and Thailand coming up next! These cards were even featured in the New York Times – woohoo! And readers write me to say that their doctors in hospitals in UK and USA have recommended the cards for others with celiac disease – feels truly wonderful to help people eat safely.
- Since I can’t travel and computer time is fairly limited, I’ve been updating some of the older posts to ensure that they are current.Newly updated:
- Answering reader emails, which I always do myself.
- Building a writing and storytelling workshop that I will run for people who want to work on storytelling and writing in an interconnected, online world. You can learn more and sign up for updates here.
Connect with me:
Last update for this page: May 2, 2019.
Thanks to Derek for /now inspiration.